Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Where do CD players go when they die?

I've ordered a few new CDs and have just started receiving them in the mail. I went downstairs to put them in the CD rack and just to make sure I had all the cases put up, I went to the Man Room, to see if there were any loose ones floating around in there. I popped open the CD player, only to find it was empty. I guess I could have guessed as much by the lack of diamond cases on the table, but wanted to be sure. As the 5-disc tray opened and started to rotate, as if looking for a CD, the platter rotated loudly and in a jerky manner. It's been doing this for quite some time, but it's obviously getting worse. At some point, it will probably cease to work at all and I will be confronted with the option of repairing it or replace it.

Well, I know I probably won't fix it. It would cost more to fix it than it's worth, and the options on the new players would far exceed the capabilities of the current player. I really like the old player, and it's more than served its purpose, but it seems criminal to just throw it away. When I bought this player, it was to replace one that matched all my stero components, and it wasn't cheap at $500. It was a Harman/Kardon, single-disc player that did nothing more than FF, Reverse, Pause/Stop. This was back in 1986 and players would just coming onto the market. The current players is also a H/K, cost about $200, and had a lot more functionality than the first player.

It seems like such a shame to throw them away, but I'm not going to throw good money to fix something, when I can do better with my money on a new unit.

What does one do with consumer electronics that no longer serve their purpose, but are fixable (although not economically)?

No comments:

Post a Comment