Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

I want downer cows...

out of my food supply.

President (you'll note the capital P, I couldn't bring myself to use that during the previous administration), Obama today banned downer cows from being slaughtered . If you don't know, a "downer" cow is one that's too weak or ill to stand on its own.

This was all done in the interest of minimizing the chances that Mad Cow disease might enter into our food supply. That aside, if a cow is too sick to walk, there's definitely something wrong with it, why would anyone consider that animal safe enough to eat? You don't want to sit next to someone with the flu, would you want to eat a cow that has some bovine flu strain (or worse)? I should think not.

I've seen video take and slaughter yards of these downer cows, and they'll tie a rope around a leg and drag it up to be killed. I've always felt very bad for the cows under these conditions.

What I want to know is: Why has it taken so long any one of a number of past presidents from taking this step?

It's not clear to me what they will do with these cows, but at least it won't wind up in my next bit of Wendy's perfection. This really seems like a no-brainer and should have been done a long, long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment